11th Apr 2014
John Pirro, Staff Writer
News Times, Published 10:50 pm, Monday, November 22, 2010
DANBURY– A 45-year-old Danbury man who spent 14 months in jail after being arrested for a strong-arm robbery last year has been cleared by a state Superior Court jury, his lawyer said Monday.
David Mayo, described by Public Defender Miles Gerety as a “semi-homeless” man who frequented the local soup kitchen and worked part time for a local garage owner, was cleared of all charges by a six-person jury that deliberated for about an hour before returning a verdict on Wednesday.
Mayo had faced two counts of robbery as well as second-degree assault and second-degree larceny. The charges stemmed from a complaint by a man who claimed Mayo and another person, who was never identified, attacked him with a baseball bat and a knife at the corner of Beaver and Elm streets on Sept. 2, 2009.
Mayo had been incarcerated since his arrest because he couldn’t post bond, his lawyer said.
Gerety, who defended Mayo along with Assistant Public Defender Maya Sparks, said key testimony came from garage owner Samuel Randolph, who told the jury that he had seen the alleged victim get out of his car and strike the defendant with a bat in an attempt to rob Mayo.
Randolph said he never reported the incident to police.